5 tell-tale signs when to upgrade your Fuse board (Consumer unit) and electrical wiring.

how to Protect your home, family and property value.

Your consumer unit in your home is the main asset to your property’s electrics. Without a consumer unit (fuse board) there would be no way of isolating circuits and appliances in and outside of your home. Here you will learn what point and when to upgrade your Fuse board. 

The consumer unit isolates and protects all electrical circuits in your property to ensure safety is paramount. Electric shocks are something nobody wants to encounter.

RCD’s and surge protection devices are paramount in domestic premises but are somewhat sensitive and they will trip on imbalances. They can be a total pain in the backside but help to shut down an electrical fault and protect the end-user as soon as physically possible – preventing any fatalities.

If your property does not have any or very few RCD’s then it could be time to upgrade!

Checkout our 5 tell-tale signs when to upgrade your Fuse board (Consumer unit) and electrical wiring.

First step, have you moved in and noticed poor electrical wiring/installation?
Second step, are you installing any new appliances?
Third step, does your property have old fuse wire?
Fourth step, Excessive use of extension leads and adapters (is this you)?
Fifth step, Planning for the future?

See below for our full description of upgrading your fuse board. 


1, Have you moved in and noticed poor electrical wiring/installation?

A poor electrical installation is a large number of causes of nuisance tripping and electrical fires across the UK starting from smouldering from loose connections to a full-fledged blaze. Always make sure your electrician is fully registered with a governing body and can provide electrical certificates that are relevant to their registered business address. If you are unsure call them to find out!

• Sparking or discolouration of sockets, switches or circuits in your consumer unit
• Burning smell or crackling
• Electrical shocks when energising a switch or appliance or anything with no electrical supply like a sink
• Lighting pulsing or flickering randomly when on

2, Are you installing any new appliances?

If you are looking to install appliances or equipment that consumes a high demand of electricity like a hot tub, air conditioning unit, induction hob or new oven you will have to have specific requirements for the install all with RCD protection.

Most electricians will install a small consumer unit alongside your existing one to get around this so they do not have to replace your whole fuse board but in some cases, some electricians will recommend this upgrade (we don’t tout for work we advise the best options and most cost-effective) most of the appliances recommended above usually consume a large electrical load so it is paramount if you can find the total consumption of your appliance, so the engineer can quote you for your install accordingly.

Should you upgrade your existing electrical supply with a bigger amp miniature circuit breaker (MCB) you pose big issues if the cable is not adequate for use. Melting cables or tripping circuits due to overloading if the appliance connected is consuming more than the maximum allowed by the MCB. Upgrading always contact a qualified registered electrician as electrics are dangerous.

3, Does your property have old fuse wire?

Fuse wire and MCB’s prevent short circuits and overload by isolating electrical currents supplying devices and equipment. Once the fuse wire has broken it will be unusable again. A MCB will trip and will not hold on until the fault has been located and removed, fuse wire would keep breaking.

These days fuses can pose a fire hazard and some insurances can refuse to insure your property or business that has this type of consumer unit so do check when taking out insurances.

4, Excessive use of extension leads and adaptors?

Do you find yourself plugging in and unplugging into extension leads and adaptors all the time? Then it’s time to install more sockets to your property and at the same time making sure the install is complaint to today’s 18th edition BS7671 wiring regulations protected with RCD’s or RCBO’s. You can install new circuits when installing your new consumer unit with cost-effective benefits to your property and home.

5, Planning for the future?

Are you are planning on renovating your property or building an extension? it’s a good idea to think ahead for additional circuits you possibly may require. Making sure your consumer unit has enough space to accommodate this is paramount. There isn’t much point in installing a fully loaded consumer unit with no additional free space if you are going to require 4 circuits in time to come. Extensions or renovations are a good way to invest and will improve the value of your home and safety.

Once your consumer unit is upgraded/replaced the person or company doing so is liable to inspect and test your property providing an electrical installation certificate.
Once you have considered all of the above call BS ELECTRICAL and we will proceed to get you booked in for a free quotation. Simply email us with the images of your consumer unit and we can advise you further.

5 tell-tale signs when to upgrade your Fuse board (Consumer unit) and electrical wiring.
Fuse board change in Reading Berkshire, Bs electrical, property value on the increase.
Comments for this post are closed.